The Great Mandolin Repair

The other day, I discovered that my mandolin was cracked near the tailpiece.  I hadn’t played it in a while because the nut had come off and I hadn’t had a chance to fix it.  It has honestly just kind of been in the closet, so Mrs. Glass suggested that I fix it and share the process with you, Dear Reader.

This is what a broken mandolin looks like.

A post shared by David Glass (@thatmanglass) on

I got my mandolin on eBay in 2012.  It was a customized/cannibalized amalgamation of parts from other mandolins and features a biscuit resonator for a unique, tinny sound.  I really like it a lot, but I have noticed some things about it over time that the ambitious creator of this instrument might not have had more heart than knowledge in this project.

My #mandolin repair project 'Before' picture

A post shared by David Glass (@thatmanglass) on

To get it up to Glass Standards, I started by takings the strings and tailpiece off.  Then I took off the repurposed grill-top (a feature I also really enjoy) and removed the resonator.  Then I cleaned and polished every inch of it.  Some of the pins on the tailpiece were bend so I straightened them out as well and made sure the tuners were cleaned up and in working order.

The mandolin has been disassembled.

A post shared by David Glass (@thatmanglass) on

When I checked the crack on the tail end, it seemed like a pretty straightforward fix.  The veneer had separated from the actual body so I just needed to re-attach it.  I got some Loctite epoxy and an Irwin Quick-Grip C-clamp and got the whole thing set up

I used epoxy to re-attach the veneer to the cracked section where the tailpiece connects

A post shared by David Glass (@thatmanglass) on

I also use epoxy and the clamp to attach the nut.

I also epoxied the nut back on and clamped it to ensure proper adhesion

A post shared by David Glass (@thatmanglass) on

That’s where I am right now, because the epoxy needs to cure.  Also, I need to research whether or not I should secure the resonator to the frame because right now the strings just hold it into place.  I will post again with the finished project.  Wish me luck !

Enthusiastically,

D. Glass

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s